Searching Acorn for Specific Versions of the Bible
To find specific versions of the Bible to which the Vanderbilt libraries provide access, it's best to do the following:*
- Type bible [language] [version] in the basic search box in Acorn.
- Use the TITLE begins with option from the dropdown that follows the search box.
So, for example, in searching for the Revised English Version of the Bible, you would want to enter bible english revised english in the search box and choose TITLE begins with from the dropdown:
Search strategies for some of other Bible versions you may be interested in (all work best with the dropdown option TITLE begins with):
- King James Version (KJV): bible english authorized
- New King James Version (NKJV): bible english new king james
- Revised Standard Version (RSV): bible english revised standard
- New Revised Standard Version (NRSV): bible english new revised standard
- New International Version (NIV): bible english new international
- New American Bible (NAB): bible english new american
- New American Standard Bible (NASB): bible english new american standard
- New Jerusalem Bible: bible english new jerusalem
- Good News Bible: bible english today's english
- Hebrew Bible: bible o.t. hebrew
- Latin Vulgate: bible latin vulgate
* Why is this "best"? Because a specific version of the Bible may appear under various names. This is particularly true of versions like King James. So a single name (what's called a "uniform title") is selected (in the case of the King James Version, the uniform title uses "Authorized" instead of "King James Version"). This enables you to do one search (bible english authorized) to find each edition of the King James Version, whether the words "king james version" appear in the title or not.